Residents of the Millhouse estate and part of the Lingham estate will be aware that earlier this year, at my request, Merseytravel commissioned Mott Macdonald to carry out a consultation to see what people in the community thought about the introduction of a new railway station ‘Town Meadow’
Initially Mott Macdonald did a letter drop to some 2,000 homes and this was followed up by a door to door survey across 400 homes. I am delighted that their report has now been finalised and can be published.
The Headlines of the report are:
- Reactions to the proposed new station were generally very positive with 83.4% supporting it and only 10% against it.
- The survey shows that the new station is likely to attract new users to the railway with over half (54.3%) of those who do not currently use either Meols or Moreton suggesting they would use the new station once a week or more. Based on the survey use of the station would be high
- The survey suggested that car usage to get to Moreton is relatively high at 43% of those surveyed who use Moreton and that these users would in future principally walk to the new station at Town Meadow. The level of car parking at Moreton is not that high and this would suggest that many people are being dropped off at the station before the driver then drives to another location. This suggests that the sustainability at the station is slightly overstated.
- Those people surveyed who do use Moreton see the time saving provided by a station at Town Meadow as a real benefit
- The survey indicates clear support for a new station at Town Meadow.
You can read their full suvey findings by clicking HERE
I think this survey really strengthens the views that this station is ling overdue. It will be interesting to see what ‘Spin’ Merseytravel Officers put on the covering report that will be sent to Rail Services Committee. Watch this space